Thursday, January 5, 2012

Considering Preservation

Okay, folks.

It is true that saving old buildings is something that I have been passionate about since I was young.
Well, since I am not over 30 one could argue that I am still young, but the point I am trying to make is that-- old is cool.

When it comes to saving old buildings I pause...

Three years ago, I would have defended every old building.
How many times can I use the word old in this blog?

A year ago, I realized that not everything should be saved.

Luckily, some things are protected, but I am okay that not everything old and awesome can be saved from the bulldozer.

Okay, so when it comes to saving these buildings there are really only two steps to considering if they are worth the effort: do they have a use? are there finances to fund the project and sustain it into the future?

If the answer is no to either you might as well go back to the drawing board and come up with a yes, or throw in the towel and accept that maybe its time to say adios to your beloved structure.

What does this mean for those interesting in saving old stuff?

Advocate for things that have yes answers.

All too often preservationists get hung up on saving the scraps. There are acres of plentifully ripe old buildings waiting for uses, funding and occupancy. Stop protesting and start proactively filling these spaces.

Sounds impossible to some, but it is really only the only way to convince the powers that be to save that old thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment